Ten tips to consider before you start your home design plan
So you’re ready to plan your home. Please consider these tips before you start to do your first sketches:
1. Distinguish between “Living areas” and “Service areas”. Use the area that you have available. Unnecessarily large “Service areas” will take away precious square meters from the “Living areas”.
2. Cross-circulations. A clean area distribution prevents people from crossing through the center of a space to reach others.
3. Opening doors. Doors in the majority of cases should turn towards the next space inner wall.
4. Generating empty spaces. It’s an obvious statement but when floor-planning it is easy to end up leaving “dead spaces” with no clear utility. These are also lost square meters.
5. Bathroom toilets distribution. When you open the bathroom door the first thing you should see is the lavatory and not the toilet or shower.
6. Circulation spaces. Another mistake when floor planning will be to lose many square meters in circulation spaces. Nobody likes or needs long hallways.
7. Height of the living spaces. The average height of a standard room is 2.40 meters, but if you live in a hot city you may be interested in increasing the height by 20 or up to 40 centimeters more has hot air tends to occupy the highest areas of the room.
8. About the storage. No matter how much you like a minimalist house, you must not forget that you have many things to keep. Be practical, count from the beginning with the necessary wardrobes and storage furniture.
9. Window planning. It is essential to carefully consider how many windows you will install, their size and positioning. Consider where the south or north to profit from sunshine. Take into account that larger windows will let in more light but it’s an energy loss area. Windows on opposite sides of the house are useful for ventilation reasons.
10. Distribution regarding orientation. Living room should ideally be located in the south areas of your home plan while the kitchen could be in the north. This will be the other way round if you live in the southern hemisphere of the earth.
Check this website to calculate the orientation of your house or plot: https://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php
Knowing these basics is key!
Once you get familiar with them you will be ready to start your home plan with a good guarantee of success.
Here are a few products that might be useful to you before you start designing your house :
- Tape Measure
The last thing you want to do is purchase the furniture and appliances in the wrong size and then for it not to fit in your home. Therefore it is a viral process to use a measuring tape to get the accurate measurements to give you an realistic idea of how to go about with designing your dream home accordingly.
- Graph paper
You can use this book for technical drawing at scale 1:50 in metric units. So you can create any design directly on the graph paper which will facilitate precise measurements and help you visualize how to go about with designing your design.
- Inspiring Design book
In this book, you’ll learn how smells, textures, and other aspects of your home can influence your happiness. It will show you how your personality impacts your ideal design style and influence you to incorporate your dream vision design into reality.
- Interior design book
The book presents Helmuth’s affordable design advice and step-by-step instructions on creating a design budget, mapping out floor plans, selecting a color palette, and accessorizing like a pro. Get the home of your dreams without breaking the bank. Learn how to make your dream into reality with Affordable Interior Design!
- Color chart guide.
Looking at the pantone can help you select the right color for your home before you design it. Colours play a significant role in designing and also everyday life. It will draw your eye to the picture. The right layout can make your space look appealing. This colour chart can be a starting point on how to go about with choosing the right color for your dream home.