Ten tips to consider before you start your home design plan
So you’re ready to plan your home. Please consider these tips before you start to do your first sketches:
1. Distinguish between “Living areas” and “Service areas”. Use with criteria the area that you have available. Unnecessarily large “Service areas” will take away precious square meters from the “Living areas”.
2. Cross-circulations. A clean area distribution prevents people from crossing through the center of a space to reach others.
3. Opening doors. Doors in the majority of cases should turn towards next space inner wall.
4. Generating empty spaces. It’s an obvious statement but when floor-planning it is easy to end up leaving “dead spaces” with no clear utility. These are also lost square meters.
5. Bathroom toilets distribution. When you open the bathroom door the first thing you should see is the lavatory and not the toilet or shower.
6. Circulation spaces. Another mistake when floor planning will be to lose many square meters in circulation spaces. Nobody likes or needs long hallways.
7. Height of the living spaces. The average height of an standard room is 2.40 meters, but if you live in a hot city may be interested in increasing the height by 20 or up to 40 centimeters more ass hot air tends to occupy the highest areas of the room.
8. About the storage. No matter how much you like a minimalist house, you must not forget that you have many things to keep. Be practical, count from the beginning with the necessary wardrobes and storage furniture.
9. Window planning. It is essential to carefully consider how many windows will you install, their size and positioning. Consider where is the south or north to profit sunshine. Take into account that larger windows will let in more light but it’s an energy loss area. Windows in opposite sides of the house is useful for ventilation reasons.
10. Distribution regarding orientation. Living room should ideally be located in the south areas of your home plan while kitchen could be in the north. This will be the other way round if you live in southern hemisphere of the earth.
Check this website to calculate the orientation of your house or plot: https://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php
Knowing these basics is key!
Once you get familiar with them you will be ready to start your home plan with a good guarantee of success.