Kitchen countertop plays an important role in the kitchen; Countertops are the foundation of a good and functional kitchen. But, what’s the best countertop? It must be durable, beautiful and economical. Whether you’re doing a kitchen upgrade or a new kitchen, It must have the quality appeal as it affects your overall kitchen design. You need to find the best kitchen countertop that fits your style and needs.
Where to start? Choosing a countertop isn’t as easy as you think. From practicality to design, there’s a lot to consider when trying to find the right countertop. In this article, we will be listing down the top choices in kitchen countertops and their pros and cons.
What are the Popular Choices?
Plastic laminates are a cheap option for kitchen countertops. With overwhelming number of design choices, laminate has been a popular choice for stylish kitchens on a budget.
Pros of Using Laminate Countertop:
- You have wide design choices. With laminate options, you can closely imitate expensive stones like marble and granite. Additionally, you can even get the seamless wood look from cabinets to counters with wood laminates.
- It is way cheaper than granite or marble. If you are on a tight budget but still want to have an expensive looking kitchen, laminate must be for you. Its costs are almost half the price of expensive stones such as granite and marble.
- It is easy to install. Laminates come on standard sizes, usually 4 ft. x 8 ft. and can be installed easily on existing counters or brand new counters.
Cons of Using Laminate Countertop:
- Easily damaged. Different layers glued together makes a laminate board. Hence, it can be easily damaged with everyday use. Do not use a knife directly on this countertop as it may scratch and damage the top layer.
- Inferior heat resistance. It is advisable to avoid placing hot pans directly onto laminate counters to avoid melting or heat damage.
- Not good for Resale Value. If you are going for additional value, better not use laminate countertop. Whether it is a good design laminate, true materials are still preferred.
Quartz countertop is also among the popular choices.
Pros of Using Quartz Countertop:
- Quartz are durable. Quartz is a durable and hard material so you won’t have to worry about scratches and chipping with everyday kitchen use. Its hardness grade is better than natural stones like granite.
- Quartz Resists Stain. Quartz are non-porous materials so it resists staining much better than granite, marble or concrete. It stands up to different kitchen stains like juice, tomato, oil and coffee.
- It won’t hold Bacteria. As quartz is a non-porous material, It won’t harbour bacteria or viruses. You don’t have to worry about food sanitation all the time.
- Wide Design Choices. Being a synthetic material, there are unlimited choices in design. Quartz can mimic natural stones and variety of colours.
- Quartz can achieve a seamless look. Manufactures stone countertop can be book
–matched to achieve seamless countertop.
Cons of Using Quartz Countertop:
- Quartz is Expensive. It is more expensive than natural stones because it is manufactured and price-controlled.
- Not as beautiful as Natural Stone. Quartz has less natural beauty than marble or granite. When you look closely on stone imitated quartz, clarity of natural veins are lesser than those of granite.
- Not as heat resistant as Granite. Be cautious about putting hot items directly on the countertop. Quick temperature changes cause thermal expansion on quartz and may lead to cracking if prolonged.
If you are looking for an upscale kitchen countertops, then granite is the best kitchen countertop choice. With its reputation being a luxurious material, granite has been a popular option for a timeless kitchen.
Pros of Using Granite Countertop:
- Granite are Durable. Granite stands up well to heat, knife marks, splashes, stains and other daily wear and tear.
- It is aesthetically pleasing. Granite is available in different types and designs that are all visually stunning and luxurious in feel.
- Granite is unique. No two stones are equal. Thus, your stone choice is truly unique to your kitchen.
- Good Value. Granite is a good choice if you want to upgrade your kitchen and consequently, add value to your home. Most homebuyers look for granite kitchen than any other countertop choice.
- Granite is easy to clean. Granite countertops are easily maintained and cleaned as long as it is properly sealed.
Cons of Using Granite Countertop:
- Improper sealing will lead to staining. When installed and sealed poorly, granite can absorb stains and bacteria.
- Granite is expensive. Depending on the stone choice, granite are generally expensive.
- Prone to chipping. Countertop corners may chip or break when done improperly. Try to apply bevelled or round edges to avoid these issues.
- Fewer colour and design choices. You’ll get lesser choices than engineered stone or quartz because of its natural qualities.
- You won’t get a seamless look. You’ll get granite in certain sizes and cannot be book
–matched because of its uniqueness.
Solid surface are formed through moulding resins, acrylic, stone and chemicals to form a countertop. It is versatile and durable, thus it is a great alternative for real stones or wood.
Pros of Using Solid Surface Countertop:
- It is durable. Solid surface is durable and hard material. It is also non-porous and very durable in terms of daily use.
- Seamless look. Like quartz, seamless look is achievable with solid surface because it is manufactured.
- Versatile in Design. Solid surface also comes with a variety of colours and designs that will fit in every kitchen design.
Cons of Using Solid Surface Countertop:
- Not as heat resistant as Granite. Same with quartz, solid surface cannot handle heat better than natural stone. So avoid hot items directly placed above the countertop.
- Vulnerable to chemical staining. Solid surface cannot handle chemicals such as paint removers or nail polish well. It is prone to staining when exposed.
- Cannot be a DIY project. Solid surface installation requires a trained installer. When choosing solid surface, get a reputable fabricator that can guarantee quality and installation.
It is always your choice to select the best kitchen countertop that fits your personal taste and budget. But always keep in mind, function and durability is also an important factor so you won’t end up spending more on maintenance and replacements.
Start Planning Your Kitchen with CAD Cabin
With user friendly 2d and 3d planning tools, you can design your dream kitchen. Our software includes catalogue with pre-made kitchen designs and objects, from cabinetry to appliances. Compare our range of software that best suits your needs.