Do I need Planning Permission? Learn more about Permitted Development Rights.

Do I need Planning Permission? Learn more about Permitted Development Rights.

Planning permission can be confusing and can be a daunting process. But does your project require it? Here are the rules under Permitted development Rights.

Do I need Planning Permission?

The best way to check whether your project needs planning permission is to go to your local council. Generally, if you are building a major change to your home, you probably need planning permission. Here are the usual projects that will not require planning permission:

You don’t need to apply for planning permission for the following changes:

  • Building small extension
  • Erecting a single-storey extension
  • A double-storey extension and It is not higher than the pitch of the roof
  • Demolition
  • Garage Conversion
  • Basement Conversion
  • Porch less than 3 square metres
  • Interior Renovations
  • Solar Panel and Satellite Dish Installation
  • Roof Skylights or Dormer windows as long as it is not facing the road
  • New doors or windows

Always check with the local authority, as permitted development rights are always changing and It varies in different area.

If you are living in designated areas such as Conservation area, National Park, or a heritage site, rules are more restricted, requirements are different and you need to apply for planning permission on any changes.

Different Types of Permitted Development

Class A – Extensions

Additions and Extensions are generally considered to be permitted development. This is called Permitted Development Rights.
Note that flats and maisonettes have different rules.

The rule applies that you can build a single-story side extension up to half the width of the existing dwelling; a single-storey rear extension can be up to 4m in length for a detached dwellings and 3meters length for a semi or a terrace house; or 3m two-storey rear extensions.

Class B – Addition to Roof

Allowing rear dormers and hip-to-gable extensions as long as the added volume created do not exceed 50 cubic metres.

Class C – Other Alterations to Roof

Other alterations such as re-roofing or the installation of roof lights/windows.

Class D – Porches

This covers the erection of a porch outside an external door.

Class E – Outbuildings

Rules allows for an outbuilding to be erected within a residential curtilage as long as it is sited behind the main elevation (Typically, front), does not cover more than 50% of the curtilage and is not more than 3m in height (2.5m where within 2m of a boundary, 4m for a dual-pitched roof).

Specific regulations applies Hard Surfaces (Class F), Chimneys & Flues (Class G) and Microwave antennas (Class H).

Permitted Development Rights for Loft Conversion:

-Adds less than 40m3 volume to a terraced house, or 50m3 volume to a detached or semi-detached house
-Uses similar building materials to the existing or current house
-Must not be higher than the highest pitch of roof
-Dormer wall should have a setback at least 20cm from the existing wall face
-Windows are non-opening if less than 1.7m from the floor level
-Wide windows must be obscured/frosted

Permitted Development Rights for Porch:

-Less than 3 sqm
-Highest point less than 3m
-Doesn’t sit within 2m of a property boundary leading to a road.

Permitted Development Rights for Pavings at front garden:

-Paving Material must be porous
If the paving material is impermeable, you are only allowed to pave 5 sqm maximum

Permitted Development Rights for Fences, Gates and Walls:

Permitted if:
-Not over 1meter high if beside the road
-Height is not more than 2 meters for non-road facing


Permitted Development Rights for Internal Works:
Typically, all internal works are under Permitted Development rights. Whether you repaint, change flooring, ceiling, you don’t need to apply for permission!

If your project does not fall under the conditions above, then, you might need to apply for a planning permission. This is tedious process but if you have the complete and right requirements, It will not take long to have your permit approved and your project rolling.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.