Water damage is one of the critical issues that a homeowner may encounter. You may encounter this issue especially in the areas like the kitchen. Water vapour exposure can cause damage to your cabinets and counters. Over time, these problems can lead to rapid wear and tear of your kitchen surfaces. It is important that you make sure that your kitchen is always clean and dry. So, what should be done to protect kitchen from water damage? We have some tips for you.
We will discuss the tips based on kitchen key areas where most water damage occurs.
Under the Sink
One of the major leak spots is under the sink. Here are some tips:
- Inspect the trap regularly for drips which is a sign of potential flooding and drain problems. If your trap is leaking, repair it. If the leak is occurring at one of the joints between the pipes, tighten the slip washers. Replace loose washers as soon as possible. Moreover, check for possible rusts or corrosion. If this happens, it may cause more serious problems. If it happens, replace the whole trap.
- Paint any bare wood inside the cabinets. Any leaks in the area will directly penetrate the wood if remain unsealed.
- Also, you can purchase under cabinet sink mats. Mats are available in different sizes depending on the size of your sink. This will somehow absorb leakages if occurs.
Around the Sink
Another leak spot can be found around the sink.
- Regularly inspect the seal around the sink. Check if there are cracks or holes that water can penetrate. Repair immediately with sink sealer.
- Check underneath if the sink attachment continues to leak.
- Any signs of leaks coming from the dishwasher area could be from a loose connection or hose leaks. You’ll want to check on your supply lines every so often.
- Check also the seals of your dishwasher door. Make sure that it latches properly and no water is escaping when being used.
- Scrape off debris as much as possible before putting the dishes to the dishwasher. This will prevent clogging and eventually flooding.
- Clean your filters regularly.
- Regularly check the back of your refrigerator for moisture and leaks. Move away the refrigerator and see if there are problems. Leave a gap between refrigerator and wall by about 2-4 inches.
- If you have ice makers, read the manual and locate where the supply lines are. Failed supply lines to the refrigerator is a risk to water damages.
General tips to protect kitchen from water damage:
- If you are unsure where your supply lines are, better to regularly check you under cabinets regularly. There may be signs of moulds and leaks that may cause water damage to your precious cabinets.
- Laminating the outer surface of the cabinet can be a better solution against water drippings, damages and moulds. Laminates acts as an extra layer of protection to your plywood. Laminate comes with a huge variety of designs and colours and surely a great option aside from just a painted cabinet.
- After kitchen use, always clean up and wipe off surfaces. Always have a dry cloth ready. Do not prolong water to flood in your counters or else it may seep in through your countertop seals.
- Try making a bowl of soda-lime and keep it in your cabinet insides. Soda-lime absorbs the excess moisture helping to keep your cabinet insides dry.